The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

TheY Just Want(s)To Help

So I've been spending a fair amount of time at the gym lately. Unfortunately for me, I don't have the money to hang out at one of those 'fancy' gyms. Instead, I spend my time at the YMCA. It's actually not a bad place ... besides being a little cramped. And I've been going there long enough that I actually know people.

Still, it's not without its quirks. Something that I really enjoy though, is a nice collection of ridiculously positive messages they put up for the teenagers who play basketball there or something.

I've included two with this post. Sorry about the quality though, the camera on my Motorola phone is ridiculously bad.

The first has a picture of two high school aged basketball players walking into a room with some kids sitting at a round table and writing. Underneath it says, "Responsibility: Doing What's Right." From the picture, I'm not sure what that means. I don't know why having a guy who is obviously much older and wearing basketball gear sitting at a table with children is an example of "Responsibility" but OK, we'll go with it.


The second picture is of a mom or teacher with a bunch of kids at a hospital visiting another sick child. Underneath it says, "Caring Feels Good." This one's a little straight forward. Still, I don't know exactly what they're saying we should be doing. Going to the hospital and spending time with children? Taking random children to the hospital with us and visiting other sick children? It's just not really clear to me.


I still think there is a valuable lesson in these images though. I don't know what it is, but I do believe it's in there somewhere. There are more sprinkled throughout the Y so if I have time in the future I might try to snap a few more pictures.

7 Comments:

At 12/21/2005 4:23 PM, Blogger fulsome said...

Also, is Jesus helping out in the secondphoto? Because that would be excellent.

 
At 12/21/2005 7:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just don't get in trouble like Res Publica did for taking a photo at the U.S. Post Office. King George is all over the picture taking...

 
At 12/21/2005 7:54 PM, Blogger Chuckles said...

The best part of the second picture is that the adult is the only one wearing a mask.

Maybe it's a pox party on that ward.

 
At 12/22/2005 8:16 AM, Blogger pop renaissance said...

those basketball players are obviously homo liberals out to recruit children.

that lady has the mask on because michael jackson wears one, and he hangs around kids too.

see? it all makes a LOT of sense.

 
At 12/22/2005 8:45 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Dear Dog in heaven...those were better answers than I was expecting.

I bet those ball palyers are supposed to be baby daddys watching their children.

 
At 12/24/2005 10:30 PM, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

Is this the Y on Golden Gate? Cuz there are more than just those "quirks" to be found there...

 
At 12/27/2005 12:57 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

This Y is actually located east coast

 

Post a Comment