The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

A Long Wait

Quite a while ago (right before I moved out to DC actually) I was at CompUSA and they were having a great deal. Two games for $20. They had one game I knew I wanted, Dynasty Warriors, and I looked around for another one. I ended up going with Xenosaga because I'd heard good things about it.

About 2 years later ... this past October actually, the game was sitting on my shelf still in its shrink wrap. Since I'd lived with a roommate the past year and a half, I'd been unwilling to commit to a 40+ hour RPG on our only TV. Then with the nice weather and summer here, I was unwilling to commit to locking myself indoors.

As fall came around though, I realized it was time to maybe beat some of these games I just have sitting around. One of those games was Max Payne 2 for PS2. I'd bought that game for $10 at Best Buy ... thinking it was ridiculously cheap at the time (and I was/am a huge fan of the original Max Payne for PC). However, a few minutes playing and a quick glance on the internet made me realize that $10 was far too much to pay for this game.

Still, I liked the story and really wanted to beat it simply to find out (never mind the frustrating controls and HORRENDOUS save functionality). I eventually beat it and decided it was time to start on the next unplayed game that was sitting on my shelf. Xenosaga was that game.

I have a couple half finished RPG's sitting on my shelf, but I figured instead of having to redo stuff I'd already done, I'd just start fresh. However, little did I realize who incredibly annoying this game is.

Besides the insane item sharing (items that you find in a virtual world somehow come back to the real world with you and get shared with other characters that they've never even met on entirely different planets) the game itself just wasn't that fun. It had stupid cut scenes every 5 minutes and a dumb story the seemed similar to Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

Still, I kept trying to play it. The last attempt was over a month ago now. I just came to the realization today that wasting time playing games I don't enjoy is a really stupid waste of time.

Not only are there probably like 4,000 games I would enjoy more, I don't see how suffering for 40 hours somehow absolves me of having spent the money on the game. I hate to give them away or trade them in or whatever but seriously, if I bought a nice serving fork that I didn't use very much or didn't end up liking, I wouldn't sit around and stab myself in the eye with it. Why do I feel a need to do this with video games?

Also, note to self: waiting that long to play the game lowers the resale value in the event of massive suckage.

Anyway, I just thought I share that. Plus, I can't let Chuckles have the top post for too long. It's against the rules.

9 Comments:

At 12/07/2006 8:55 AM, Blogger fulsome said...

haha, how true. About the rule. I know anytime we've been idle enough for him to post we're in trouble.

The War on Christmas calls out to me but then there I get drug into the actual Christmas events and all time disappears.

Christmas wins again!

 
At 12/07/2006 11:32 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

I do this with movies a lot. I just watched House of Flying Daggers last night and I bought it about a year ago. I liked the pretty colors.

In regards to the small footnote re me, you just poked the bear.

 
At 12/07/2006 11:47 PM, Blogger mdhatter said...

note to chuckles: massive suckage lowers the resale value in the event of massive suckage.

That said, I just bought 2 copies, read that 2 copies, of StarCraft. Someone made a flawless installer for OSX from the OS9 port.

I prefer head to head games on my PS2 and RPG on the PC. Not sure why.

 
At 12/07/2006 11:48 PM, Blogger mdhatter said...

sorry about that... messge to dEn:

 
At 12/08/2006 7:10 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

Yeah, the thing is that if you sell games that suck while they're still popular, you can get a decent amount of money.

If you wait a year (or 2) for all the hoopla to die down, you get nothing.

I've still got my PC copy of Starcraft. I wanted to install it on my Mac a couple years ago but Blizzard wanted to charge me to get the Mac installer. That pissed me off so I threw it in the drawer.

 
At 12/08/2006 8:07 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

STARCRAFT DR000LZ!!!
TOTAL ANNIHILATION R000000LZ!!!

 
At 12/08/2006 10:46 AM, Blogger mdhatter said...

The OSX installer is now freeware, and someone even

amazingly

built a single layer flash game out of it recently where all you do is build bases and defend them.. Go check that one out.

yeah, starcraft rulz

 
At 12/08/2006 10:47 AM, Blogger mdhatter said...

oh, and upon consideration, I like RPGs on the PC becase of the mouse interface.

 
At 2/12/2007 11:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the blog about ipod movie found it very informative. I found a good website which also features ipod movie and ipod movie. The link is great for **uk bargains** including Nintendo Wii, PS2, PS3, games consoles and features famous online stores inc Argos, Marks and Spencer, Empire Direct, LX Direct, Tesco, Next. There is also a chance to play online bingo and try your luck at the online gambling sites available inc roulette, poker and fruit machines. I've also found another site for **free soccer links**. Hope you find these sites interesting - all the best!

 

Post a Comment