The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Thrill of It All

The past couple weeks, I've had a couple things on my mind. I've always had a sentimental spot for popular culture that's a little outdated. I'm always amazed by how, a few years down the line, something that seemed so cutting edge and cool can look so completely different. I also tend to get too attached to a specific actor or show and try to watch everything that is related to it. The past several months, my obsession has been with James Garner.

Introduced to him when watching the remake of Maverick in grade school, I quickly developed an attachment. In college I realized they were showing reruns of the Rockford Files at night so I would watch them when I could but with my random schedule, it was kind of difficult. After college things got even more ridiculous, working crazy hours and spending little time at home.

However, last Christmas with the receipt of a single gift, that all changed. The bastard that now fuels my actor/show obsession now TiVo arrived. The past 6-7 months I've been dutifully TiVo'ing all the episodes of the Rockford Files or watching old movies like Sayonara or Victor/Victoria—I'm still not able to make myself watch 10 Simple Rules just to see Garner.

And yet my thirst is still unquenched. I was happy when I was able to rent Support Your Local Gunfighter from Hollywood Video (which after watching Support Your Local Sheriff last night, seems like exactly the same movie). It has now even escalated into renting movies online, and have recently received movies like A Man Called Sledge, Sunset (James Garner and Bruce Willis together in one movie ... it will blow your MIND), and The Fan.

The thing about all of this that seems most strange to me though, is that as you make your way backwards through an actor's films—especially one that is as old as Garner is now—you it hits you that it's a finite endeavor. As you see more movies and become more familiar with the person it's always with an end overshadowing everything, knowing that every film or episode is a step towards that finale.

I'm sure there is some lesson about mortality or keeping a dream diary or something in this. Screw that though, I suck at learning lessons. All I know is that I'm getting closer to the end with one of my favorite actors and it really feels kind of weird.

12 Comments:

At 11/22/2006 2:24 PM, Blogger mdhatter said...

I went through the same thing with Hemingway about 10 years ago.

Looking back, I'm glad its over. You may be as well.

 
At 11/22/2006 2:52 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

You're probably right. It's an interesting process but I will probably be glad to not have to think about it anymore.

 
At 11/22/2006 3:21 PM, Blogger mdhatter said...

I was going for more of a shame vibe.

;)

 
At 11/22/2006 6:09 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

haha, that too

 
At 11/23/2006 7:24 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Is Garner really worth your adulation?

James Stewart, now there was a man with range.

 
At 11/23/2006 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, nerds! Let the War on Christmas 2006 commence!!

 
At 11/24/2006 5:07 AM, Blogger mdhatter said...

Further, allow me to recommend Carey Grant as a replacement.

 
At 11/24/2006 8:59 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

The thing about these obsessions is that they aren't really based on ability or anything.

I like James Garner just because ... not really a good reason. So I just need to watch everything to fill some primal addiction need.

 
At 11/27/2006 8:23 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

See, that sounds fine. An irrational obsession with a random actor seems acceptable in today's America.

 
At 11/27/2006 5:41 PM, Blogger mdhatter said...

were it for RuPaul, an obsession may be deemed abnormal, but Garner is Grade A.

 
At 11/28/2006 7:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RuPaul rocks!

Fellas, you need to head over to Brando's site. He's discussing air guitar. (And dEn owes AG a comment at RoD. Just because.)

 
At 12/04/2006 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GET WITH THE PROGRAM AND POST SOMETHING NEW!

 

Post a Comment