The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Weekend Projects: I need a BIOS major or something

I tried to find the SATA settings in my BIOS on my own before I called dontEATnachos last night. The logn and the short of the story is that the BIOS had tried to recognize my SATA drive as a Secondary IDE Master and somehow I don't think that worked too well. I think this because it didn't work at all.

I tried setting the BIOS to go with a Manually chosen Master drive (HDD-0) and that didn't help. dEN suggested setting the IDE Master to HDD-1 and see what happens. Massive Non-Windows BSOD (Blue Screen of Death for those non-abbreviating nerds out there). So, I reset that back to HDD-0 and the machine booted properly. The new drive was not connected during these tests.

We then tried unplugging the IDE Drives and plugging in the SATA drive with my Windows disc in the DVD drive. That did not work and returned the same error as before, the weird "Hit TAB to do stuff and Nothing will happen error".

dEn had me dig around inmy computer and try to identify my motherboard brand and type. This would have been a lot easier if I had dug out all my documentation prior to all this fucking about. Well, after a bit of seraching I found the right sequence of jargon and dEn was able to find a manual for the motherboard. Cool beans. We then checked the BIOS again and dEn decided I should upgrade it.

Umm, what? Whatever. So that is the current plan and dEn is going to hopefully come over tonight and we can hammer this out and go see a movie or something. There is one potential hitch: I don't have a floppy drive on this machine. When I bought it, I was living in Casa de Free Rent Plus Chores (My parents' house). My father has more computer parts from the last 20 years than most stores. He could open a museum of the Home Personal Computer complete with a detailed explanation of why there are called personal computers. I think our first one used vacuum tubes. My dad used to program in FORTRAN and KOBOL and shit. He is the O.G.I.T. The point is that I didn't shell out 20 bucks for a black fronted 3.5" drive because we had a bunch in the basement. (I made a shelf out of them. Ok, not really, but you could have with all the power sources.)

I never got around to adding a floppy drive and now it may come back to haunt me. I guess I never understand the point of floppy when you can have hard.

10 Comments:

At 11/15/2006 8:01 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

it's COBOL, short for COmmon Business Oriented Language.

When you say KOBOL, I believe you're thinking of Battlestar Galactica.

 
At 11/15/2006 9:35 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Ok, fine, but I got FORTRAN right and I can still program in Hypercard.

 
At 11/15/2006 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dEn, I'd be worried if I were you. The last time he asked another boy to see a movie, he wanted more than a movie if you know what AG means.

 
At 11/15/2006 11:45 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

And now you're gay bashing. When are you going to stop with all the bigotted humor. I don't know how Res puts up with you.

 
At 11/15/2006 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um it would be gay bashing if AG had a problem with um, gays! AG doesn't have a problem with you liking boys. Not one problem! She was warning dEn about how you are on first dates. Trust me, she warned BG too!

 
At 11/16/2006 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how Res puts up with you.

It's all clicks and whistles to me, man.

I'm glad dEn suggested a BIOS upgrade. I meant to mention that before. It might not solve your problem, but then again it might.

 
At 11/17/2006 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where's Fulsome these days?!!!

 
At 11/18/2006 1:10 AM, Blogger mdhatter said...

is this post actually a macintosh ad?

 
At 11/19/2006 6:46 AM, Blogger fish said...

O.G.I.T. That is awesome. Or m4yb3 checksum.

 
At 11/20/2006 7:32 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Checksum?

I barely knew him!

 

Post a Comment