The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Starstruck*

Wow! I felt a need to comment on the excitement of my morning commute today. Usually it's relatively uneventful (it's a 15 minute drive ... how much can happen?). Today though, wow. It was great.

Let me first say that I love cars. I really don't know that much about how to fix them or whatever but I do have a rudimentary understanding of how they work. And I appreciate getting to see cool cars, especially ones that aren't too common.

When living in Chicago and Washington DC it's not uncommon to see some interesting vehicles. I remember back when I lived in a slightly poorer/less populated area that I would get excited at seeing things like a BMW Z3. Now though, it takes much more interesting vehicles to get my attention.

I can think of some of the cooler cars I've seen like the Bentley Coninental GT or the Aston Martin Vanquish. I also appreciate seeing rarer or imported cars. Like a VW Jetta that had the European Bora nameplate instead and still had EU tags. Or any time I see a Peugot or Alpha Romeo. Plus for some reason I enjoy seeing cars that are still branded as Datsun. Of course, some of my friends in college were less picky and would get excited when they saw a Dodge Viper.

Today though, I saw a car driving behind me that I never honestly thought I'd see on the road, a Ford GT. I remember seeing this one at the autoshow back in 2002 (in concept form I think), and always thinking it was awesome. Unlike the concept car which was a gold color I think, this one was white with blue racing stripes.

Unfortunately, we were on a road where the speed limit was 25MPH with a bus in front of me (and because of problems I've heard about the GT having, I was amazed that it seemed to be driving alright in these conditions). I was hoping it would be following me onto 395 just so I could see it completely obliterate my car on the highway but it ended up turning off right before the on ramp.

Still, it was amazing to see one of these guys out on the street and in action. It had such great low profile and wide stance, you could definitely tell it was just waiting for the right moment to tear off.

Ok, done gushing now.

* Unfortunately, it didn't actually run into me ... that would have been even cooler (and made the title have such an awesome double meaning)

8 Comments:

At 7/19/2006 10:09 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

I was walking through Georgetown a while ago and I saw some kid taking a camera phone picture of some car and I thought, I hope that loser isn't taking a picture of a BMW or something. The car was blocked by the SUV parked along M street. Turns out the kid was photographing a Lamborghini (or whatevs spelling). A worthy cause.

Maseratis? Maybe.
Lotus? Sure.
Ferrari? Yawn, ok.
Lamborghini? Ok.
Bentleys? Not so much. I have seen three or four in the last two weeks. Or maybe just two twice.

 
At 7/19/2006 10:40 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

Yeah, Bentley's aren't that uncommon but it was a Continental GT right after it came out (the coupe, not the boring-ass sedan) and it looked pretty sweet ...

 
At 7/19/2006 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once road in Aston, it was amazing. Not as amazing as the rides I used to get in the rebuilt '66 Jaguar. That was amazing to me.

The NY Autshow is amazing. I used to get free tickets to attend and I loved going. It was always fun watching people dust cars and nobodys take pictures in front of VWs and Dodges. Tools.

 
At 7/19/2006 12:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

How many times can AG use amazing? Stupid comments sent before I could edit.

 
At 7/19/2006 6:45 PM, Blogger mdhatter said...

At a race in CT i got to see two Deloreans parked next to each other, in the public lot. Shiny. Pretty. Shiny.

I'll bet the car you saw today was a kit car, and not a production run. Maybe not even a ford, except in concept.

Pretty, though I like the Tucker better.

 
At 7/20/2006 8:39 AM, Blogger nolatravelgirl said...

Hadn't thought about my Datsun in years! My first car at 15 (yes 15 was legal to drive in Louisiana in 1988) was a 1980 Datsun 200SX. It was totally ghetto in the fact that the radio had been stolen so I strapped my old tape deck in the back seat just so I could have some tunes. :-O

 
At 7/20/2006 9:32 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Tucker?

I barely kissed her!

 
At 7/20/2006 10:26 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

Kit car, eh? That would be a shame. It looked nice. There are some sweet rides around the area though (and plenty of multi-million dollar homes).

Also, it had a pretty throaty (by well tuned) growl. Still, you're probably right.

It just looked very nice, I have a hard time imagining that it was a kit car.

I'm not huge on the Tucker. It's hard to be big on cars that are that old school.

 

Post a Comment