The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The Search for Something

Ok, hot on the ever-so-popular post of me not spending money on my car (well, I did get to spend some money on new brakes, that was fun) I'm trying to find a new coffee table. I moved into a new apartment a couple weeks ago and with the current setup no longer have side tables by my couch.

So I'm looking for a cheap coffee table. I've kind of been checking craigslist for something but I don't know if I'll notice it soon enough to actually get it if something good is listed.

However, I have found a couple tables online that looked pretty decent. Of course I would consider maybe buying them but this company is in England and I am not going to pay their crazy prices and then try to get it shipped here. That would not work.


So my latest Genius Idea (I think Chuckles owns that trademark on that) is to just try to make it myself. Unfortunately I generally have zero experience with this kind of stuff.

Naturally then, I have a couple of questions about what kind of wood to use or where you buy stuff that isn't just pine 2x4's. I've been to Home Depot and all of their 4x8's or whatever seem to be outdoor treated wood. So I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this stuff or if I'd have to tivo like 30 billion shows of HGTV as well as doing some serious googling.

I also have a question about the source of lumber used in these kind of things. Is there a way to try to get wood that comes from a treef farm area vs. logged from a forest. I am going to be doing some more research on it here but I was just wondering if anyone else knew something about it.

For zero impact I think I could probably just buy something used and that would end up having a virtually zero impact. Or perhaps I should just do a little research and do some sort of tree offsetting donation based upon how much wood was probably cut down to make that particular piece of furniture. I don't know if that would make up for forest space lost to logging/clear cutting or whatever.

Maybe I'll just go back to scouring the Salvation Army for stuff.

Or say screw saving money and caring about the environment to not be broke, I'll get one of these other interesting coffee tables.

10 Comments:

At 7/12/2006 6:08 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Yard sales.

 
At 7/12/2006 6:42 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

Hmm, I did try that without much success. Mostly because they're a pain in the ass to find.

Maybe it will be worth another go this weekend though.

 
At 7/12/2006 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, IKEA?! I've been to the one in VA and it's worth the trip out.

 
At 7/12/2006 8:28 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

there are actually two that are about equally far. One in College Park, MD and one in VA. They're both alright. But enough of my apartment is already Ikea crap.

I'm trying to get something that isn't made out of particle board.

 
At 7/12/2006 10:09 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

There are always yard sales up near me. Quite a few of them are really ritzy and might have a table of suitable girth and virility.

 
At 7/12/2006 10:09 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Like my wang.

 
At 7/12/2006 11:07 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

hmmm, well according to the online Chinese dictionary, wang can mean a number of things. Just not what I think you were trying to use it as there.

Also, just let me know when you see a good yard sale and I'll drop by.

 
At 7/12/2006 11:32 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Definitely.

The nice thing about yard sales and Salvation Army is the lack of cash necessary for a solid piece of furniture. Plus, you don't feel bad if it gets wrecked at a party or during a move. I don't think buying quality furniture is worth it unless you own property.

 
At 7/12/2006 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how every blog I go to this week, somehow, someway -- Chuckie is talking about his wang. You have to wonder why a man talks about his wang so much. If it were so impressive, wouldn't the girls (or in Pinko's case, the boys) be the ones talking about it?

 
At 7/13/2006 5:52 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

I thought there was a dearth of my wang, so I had to wang a few posts.

 

Post a Comment