The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Inching My Way Deeper Into DSL Hell



Written Last Night While on Tech Support at 2AM:

As I sit here on the the phone with obviously level 1 tech support I lament my fate.

Just 20 short minutes ago I was on the phone with a tech support guy who clearly knew what he was talking about. The 4 minutes that our conversation lasted were a breath of fresh air when it comes to tech support calls. We were breezing through the standard steps and about to make our way up to a higher level technician when my phone dropped the call.

Even though they ask me at the very beginning of the support for a number they can contact me at, the dude didn't call me back (they only call you when they decide that it's worth their time or something I suppose).

After waiting 5 minutes to see if the guy would be nice enough to call me again, I call the support number back. This time I wasn't so lucky, I got a level 1 guy who didn't speak English as his first language and was clearly reading off his script. It was kind of funny because he would pause for a couple seconds, clearly reading it in advance and then would say quite clearly in an "I'm reading this" voice whatever he was supposed to say next.

I would do fun things like short circuit his questions, telling him things I had done right before he was going to ask me to do them. Offering up little nuggets like, "Well I logged into the DSL modem and it clearly says that there is no DSL connection available." I think he had no idea what that even meant.

Eventually though, we worked through all the steps and he could file a trouble ticket.

So now I've got a tech scheduled to come out on Friday morning. I think scheduled him to come between 8-10 AM but I know that he won't come then. The techs never come when they're supposed to. My company deals with phone techs all the time and generally if you know a tech has actually shown up somewhere, you drop whatever your doing and get over there because your really have no idea the next time they would appear.

I guess we'll just have to see how it goes tomorrow.

2 Comments:

At 7/13/2006 9:17 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

You are so boned. The dude is going to show up at 4:30 and be all, "O, I thought it was 8-10 PM!"

 
At 7/13/2006 10:10 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

yes, I'm not really holding out hope that this first attempt will be successful

 

Post a Comment