The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Monday, July 10, 2006

Pre-emptive Buyer's Remorse

This past week I've spent some time trying to find new tires for my car. It's a Mustang that currently has the stock 15" wheels. Due to my negligence (I didn't rotate the tires!) I find that I've worn out the outside tread on both of the front tires.

So, this Saturday instead of hiking with Chuckles near Great Falls I spent part of the day talking to a guy I know who works at NTB. I was thinking that since I was already going to the expense of buying new tires that I might as well upgrade to 18" wheels (and help my car look a little more sporty). I've been thinking about doing this upgrade ever since I got the car about a year and a half ago and I've spent the past 2-3 weeks reading all about wheels and tires.

Still, the NTB guy said that he couldn't get me a discount on rims there so I'd have to pay full price for them somewhere. I mean, it still would save me the cost of buying all new tires for upgrading to 18" wheels (since they need to be replaced now anyway) which I will have to do if I wait another year or two to get 18" wheels.

So at the end of the day on Sunday I still hadn't made my mind up. I knew that I was starting to feel a little antsy about spending over a thou on new wheels and tires but I was like, "What else would I be spending my money on anyway, a new TV or other pointless stuff?"

It's just weird because this is a process I seem to go through with everything. I get really interested in something and research it for a couple weeks and when it comes time to actually pay the money for it or whatever, I realize that I don't really care about it enough to part with my hard-earned money.

I usually don't mind it because I spend the time learning something new and it ends up not costing me anything (and the thought of how cool it would be if I did it is probably actually more fun than doing it).

Of course Fulsome hates hearing about these things (interesting fact: this post was originally going to be Part 1 in a series about things I do that annoy Fulsome--Part 2, I don't really enjoy traveling that much). I think it's the fact that I talk and talk about all these things I'm going to do and then don't ever actually do them. But seriously, why would it be annoying to hear someone talk about how they're going to do something, how the want to do something, how awesome it will be when they do that thing and then they don't do it. What's annoying about that?

All I know is that it happened again this past weekend, another case of pre-emptive buyer's remorse.

12 Comments:

At 7/10/2006 3:10 PM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Methinks there are some subtle barbs in this here postie.

 
At 7/10/2006 3:15 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

well, fulsome wasn't actually involved in this at all I don't think. He's still hard to reach.

IT's just a process that I go through with many things.

So it was not meant to be a barb at anything but my own weird process.

 
At 7/10/2006 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the annoying thing is people that blog about how to spend money they have that seems like it's just laying around and not pimping Take 5s or at least participating in internet shenanigans. That is goddamned annoying.

 
At 7/11/2006 7:08 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

hmmm, how many Take 5's could you get for $800?

Well, according to this site a box of 24 Take 5's is $18.99. Assuming that shipping would probably run me around $40 (maybe a little low). I could buy 40 boxes of Take 5's. Which would be 960 candy bars.

Each Take 5 bar has 10 grams of fat and 210 calories.

That means that would be 9,600 grams of fat and 201,600 calories to eat all of those.

Each candy bar is 25% of your daily saturated fat (5 grams) meaning that you should only eat a maximum of 4 a day. Meaning if you at the maximum of 4 candy bars a day it would take you 240 days to eat all 40 boxes.

 
At 7/11/2006 10:48 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

For normal people.

fulsome would destroy that amount of candy in a matter of hours. He would then cease eating for a period of time proportionate to the amount ingested (in weight, not caloric intake), rather like an anaconda.

Unlike an anaconda, fulsome will never get to make an attempt to eat Jennifer Lopez. He will, however, someday consume all traces of Owen Wilson.

 
At 7/11/2006 11:10 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

That is because he's known as the Butterscotch Stallion

 
At 7/11/2006 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what I find annoying, people who pimp lame candy bars like Take 5. Worse yet, ones who think Clodhoppers are actually good.

 
At 7/12/2006 6:04 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

I am the Peanut Brittle Bandito.

 
At 7/12/2006 8:15 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

Wow, Peanut Brittle ... that totally reminds me of every time my grandparents went to Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO. They'd always bring that stuff back.

 
At 7/12/2006 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so over candy, especially choco. Geesh.

 
At 7/12/2006 11:28 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

Don't bag on candy like that. You know you love it. It's delicious and awesome.

 
At 7/12/2006 11:33 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Peanut Brittle is pretty freaking awesome.

I WANT CANDY!

Bum badum ba dum dum

I WANT CANDY!

Bum badum ba dum dum

 

Post a Comment