The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Friday, July 28, 2006

Like A Train Wreck ... I Can't Look Away

Alright ... how to start. First, let me say that I use a feature on Yahoo! called My Yahoo!. It's similar to features offered by Google and many other portal companies. There are configurable sections where you can put the content of your choosing in.

I have a couple RSS feeds to news sites, airplane ticket prices, the weather, movie times, that kind of thing. The nice thing about Yahoo!'s is though that you can actually embed some regular print comics into it as well. They're the strips at a reasonable size so you can read them without having to click on anything (although they do limit you to only 3 comics).

Full Post


I've been using this feature for a while but like a year ago or so they stopped letting me have Get Fuzzy or Dilbert on the page. Fox Trot was an alright replacement for one of them, but I was having trouble finding another one. My girlfriend's a big fan of Garfield though, so I thought I would add it so I could see the strip and tell her how not funny it was (and trust me, they aren't funny). It was a fun little game, I'd read the comic to her and then ask questions like, "Was there even a joke in there?" or explain how Garfield's ridiculous facial expressions ruined what maybe could have been a slightly amusing joke.

However, last week things started getting weird. Occasionally Jon Arbuckle gets to go out on dates (they always end horribly ... with him looking like a chucklehead with a crazy bowtie and saying stupid things). He's been doing this for like 30 years now so there's not really any new ground to be broken there.

Anyway, so he manages to swing a date with this woman who has really bad amnesia (and can't remember how annoying he is ... har har har). However, mid-date he spots his dream girl who is apparently Garfield's veterinarian, Liz. She's out on a date with some dude with a massive chin and yeah.

So Jon decides to ditch his date, disguise himself as a waiter (complete with fake mustache and bad French accent), and go to the table. However, vet-lady Liz quickly recognizes him thanks to accompanying bus boy Garfield. I'm sure we can all see how this is going to end ... him getting a drink spilled on him or something and going home like an idiot. That's what always happens ... and it's never funny.

The next strip though doesn't go according to formula though and Liz declares that she actually likes Jon. It's CRAZY!! CRAZY!! I say. One of his schemes somehow ended up not working out horribly. That was only Wednesday though. It keeps getting weirder ... if you don't believe me check out today's comic here.

Anyway, I was confused by all of this yesterday so I started looking to see whether there was something going on with the strip (like Jim Davis was ending it or something) but didn't find anything except this blog: Permanent Monday.

I now have to say that I want to read Garfield every day. This blog is hilarious. No, it doesn't make fun of the comic at all ... it's the complete opposite. They analyze every panel, every word, everything and try to actually understand the Garfield world. It's awesome ... if only for its pure ridiculousness. Man, good times.

So yeah, even though I've ragged on it for quite a while now, I find myself reading and even wondering what's going on in the Garfield comic strip. If you're reading this, please consider it a cry for help. I can't escape ... I ... can't ... stop ... looking ...

6 Comments:

At 7/28/2006 11:46 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Fucky you, now I am hooked as well.

 
At 7/28/2006 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Dear God. I'm hooked at well. This is wrong wrong wrong wrong. I mean my paper (The Boston Globe) actually pulled Garfield and there was great rejoice. Permanent Monday is potentially the most subversive blog ever.

 
At 7/28/2006 6:08 PM, Blogger mdhatter said...

another sign of the impending apocalypse

 
At 7/28/2006 6:17 PM, Blogger mdhatter said...

and that site is evil evil evil.

It's interesting the same way looking at tuna casserole with an electron microscope is interesting.

 
At 7/29/2006 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The world is ending -- UC left a comment here and dEn came by RoD!

Love it! And does UC think he's a Hearst or something when he says "his" paper?

 
At 8/08/2006 11:47 PM, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

"...with him looking like a chucklehead with a crazy bowtie and saying stupid things."

Jon as Tucker Carlson. After scads of years, the joke finally makes sense.

Oh, and dEn, that permanent monday shit is wrong wrong wrong and I can't stop reading it... Well, okay, except maybe to look at stills from The Men of Marrakesh II: Cut To Order.

 

Post a Comment