The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Friday, June 30, 2006

A Desire To Spend Money

Ok, I've been doing my best to try to avoid the whole 'next gen console war' whatever hoopla that seems to come out every time new video games systems come out. This time I only ever owned a PS2 (which I bought for Tony Hawk, GTA3, and SSX) and now really appreciating for the Guitar Hero.

For the next generation I'd always been leaning towards buying a Playstation 3. However, when the price was announced ($500 for the base, $600 for the high capacity model) I began to second guess that idea. I've heard lots of good things about the Xbox 360 and am interested in picking one up.

Still, now that I've seen the new PS3 page that is up for Europe, I'm thinking I may be going back to the PS3 (it's so shiny!). I'm not convinced that the PS3 online service will be as good as Xbox Live! but I'm beginning to think that some of the other benefits of the console will outweigh that.

While I don't yet have an HDTV (see yesterday's post) I'm thinking I will be picking one up here in the next year. I already know which one I want (the 50" SXRD Sony WEGA) ... and I drool over it whenever I get the chance. With that massive TV, I think that I would want to move to a next gen movie player as well. So, I have the choice of buying an Xbox 360 and the HD-DVD add on that is supposed to come later this year or standalone HD-DVD/Blu-ray player (instead of the add-on) or I can get the PS3 that will have the built in Blu-ray drive but will also include memory card slots, WiFi, Bluetooth, the ability to play my PS2 games, and support for Super Audio CD's. If their talk of an integrated web browser is true then I may be able to ditch the whole PowerBook/Mac Mini router thing I've got going now and just use the PS3.


So yeah, I guess I'm going to need to start saving up for that ... and here I was hoping that I might be able to afford some new furniture. Oh well, you know the saying 'Consoles before console tables.'

7 Comments:

At 6/30/2006 11:39 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

You know what I always say:

Games Workshop before food.

 
At 6/30/2006 11:45 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Also, note the shiny psangly Spiderman styling of the script.

 
At 6/30/2006 12:38 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

that's right. the PS3 is going to be just as cool as spiderman

 
At 6/30/2006 7:46 PM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Spiderman in a box!

 
At 7/03/2006 3:09 PM, Blogger mdhatter said...

mmmmmm. PS3. mmmmmmm. Widescreeen. mmmmmmm.

 
At 2/11/2007 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the blog about rear projection tv lcos found it very informative. I found a good website which also features rear projection tv lcos and rear projection tv lcos. The link is great for **uk bargains** including Nintendo Wii, PS2, PS3, games consoles and features famous online stores inc Argos, Marks and Spencer, Empire Direct, LX Direct, Tesco, Next. There is also a chance to play online bingo and try your luck at the online gambling sites available inc roulette, poker and fruit machines. I've also found another site for **free soccer links**. Hope you find these sites interesting - all the best!

 
At 2/12/2007 12:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the blog about ps3 review found it very informative. I found a good website which also features ps3 review and ps3 review. The link is great for **uk bargains** including Nintendo Wii, PS2, PS3, games consoles and features famous online stores inc Argos, Marks and Spencer, Empire Direct, LX Direct, Tesco, Next. There is also a chance to play online bingo and try your luck at the online gambling sites available inc roulette, poker and fruit machines. I've also found another site for **free soccer links**. Hope you find these sites interesting - all the best!

 

Post a Comment