The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Sunday, July 02, 2006

dontEATnachos Returns

As may be slightly obvious from the fact that there are actually new posts on WRN, I have indeed started posting again. I'd kind of been busy with things (or as AG says, "You nerds sure do move a lot") but now things are back on their schedule and I am trying to post some updates.

This past weekend, I had a chance to catch another summer movie. I've seen MI3 and X-men 3 already, so Superman Returns (the spiritual successor to Superman 2) only made sense. Just to further the numerology (333333!), they also showed a preview for Spiderman 3 which looks awesome.

Anyway, back to Superman Returns. The movie, which has a new guy (Brandon Routh) looking eerily like Christopher Reeves at some points but also strangely like Jason Schwartzman at others, was supposed to be set after Superman Returns to earth after a 5 year absence.

No one seems to put together the fact that Clark Kent and Superman came back within days of each other but whatev, who would. The fact that no one can tell them apart is part of the fun. I'm just amazed that Superman always has time to gel his hair like that anytime there's an emergency (and how does he get it out afterwards?).

Still, like Spiderman and X-Men, Superman really benefits from the wonders of CG graphics. The coolest parts are always where Superman is using his powers. The sense of speed and strength is great and it's all done in a very fluid way (especially when compared to the earlier Superman movies).

Spacey as Lex Luthor is alright and I can understand why they returned to the classic villain for the movie. Still, I think it may have benefited from someone who looks a little better bald. Also, while Kal Penn (Kumar from Harold & Kumar go to White Castle) has a role as henchman, I don't think he ever gets to speak ... it's kind of like Rob Cordry in Old School ... if only they'd let him talk!

Anyway, there are times when it drags but I really enjoyed it. The eye candy and special powers are always what make these movies great and Superman Returns doesn't disappoint. The story is so-so but hey, these summer movies aren't supposed to be all story, so just enjoy the movie and leave the armchair analyzations of Superman or his possible gayness or whatever to the internet nerds.

8 Comments:

At 7/03/2006 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray! DEN is back and in black. Hope your move went well. We had a blast meeting Chuckles. Hope we can meet you and Fulsome sometime soon.

 
At 7/03/2006 1:36 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

Yes, it cracked me up that the one time you were in SF, fulsome was here hanging out with me.

That's how it goes sometimes though.

Was it really a blast meeting Chuckles or are you just saying that to be nice?

 
At 7/03/2006 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, UC and I love Chuckiepants! We must have gone on about him for 2 hours after we dropped him at his family wedding. We loved his endless stories and upbeat way of being. It was really endearing. We even met Mom Chuckles and Eldest Brother Chuckles. We think we spotted Sister-in-law and baby Chuckles along with Dad and Brothers 2 and 4 Chuckles. Cute family!

Trust me, if Chuckie lived in Boston, UC would be wanting to call him to go out at least once a week.

We cannot wait to meet you and Fulsome. We've heard very sweet things about you both, even if Fulsome is the human wedgie.

 
At 7/05/2006 8:13 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

Wow, that Teddy Scares video is totally balls. I should delete your comment but I'm going to leave it up so that other people can be bored by its lameness.

 
At 7/05/2006 9:19 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

To clarify, there are NO baby Chuckles that I know of. That was baby dandrobium. He sometimes leaves a comment. There were more than a few train conductors who thought that dandrobium and I were life partners or something because the rest of my brothers refused to take much time to help with the baby boy.

I mean, just five minutes with the baby from each would have resulted in peace for me for at least three hours.

 
At 7/06/2006 5:50 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

How was the digitally reduced package action?

 
At 7/12/2006 6:43 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

Well, digitally reduced I guess. It wasn't noticeable to me. Of course I wasn't really looking too much. Honest!

 
At 7/13/2006 9:18 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Dirty sack looker.

 

Post a Comment