The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Yeah, and Duke and Lion-O aren't looking too healthy, either



Cross genre fan fiction has never been my thing.

One of our idols has fallen. I doubt I'll get much work done today. For me, the grief is still too near. I guess this is just all a part of growing up. Frank Herbert wrote a bit about this in Dune. To paraphrase, "...the day a boy learns his father is mortal and will die is the day that boy becomes a man." We had great jingoistic idols as children didn't we? GI Joe beat the hell out of terrorists before we even knew what terrorists were. The Thundercats beat on a mummy and his horde of dimwits. Voltron (the cool one, not the stupid car one) beat up Ro-Beasts after getting served. The Ro-Beasts had no real agenda beyond attacking Voltron and enslaving all of the people on that weird ass planet. Lance? Best Death Ever in a Cartoon. Shit, man, when that witch went all multiple person on him, I got shivers. Then, she hacked him to death with a scythe. A SCYTHE. How hard core is that? Answer: SUPER HARD CORE. Every time I see a villain with a scythe in a movie or Diablo Poo, I think of Lance and lament for our lost heroes.


Did he just get out of the shower? Slash fic is also not my thing. Damn.

I haven't seen the Superman movie or even X3 yet. Maybe I am losing nerd credit, but I still have all my comic books. For me, Superman embodied something funky. This may be just the same old crap as everybody else, but I envied him while knowing I could never meet his example. The movies were one thing, but the old cartoons were the clincher. In third grade, I knew that Superman was an epitome that I would never even approach. He had too much, but he sacrificed as much. He had all those powers and could do pretty much anything, but get his girl. Even Wolverine was too much. I needed these guys to show me the heights, but I really learned from those who did what they could without powers like that. This is how I started reading on my own.

I started with the Odyssey (not the Iliad, still haven't read that), then moved on to the Lord of the Rings (all four books and started the Silmarillion) and then read The Battle of Midway. The last book may seem out of place, but it really isn't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment