The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Monday, July 31, 2006

Better Success, witch burner

This spam subject line cracked me up today. The summer reading list is after the link. I am trying to figure out this full post and half post doojobber.

Looks like it works. Check out the rest here.

Aside from some short stories, this summer had been light on reading until July. (1) My brother gave me I Served the King of England by Bohumil Hrabal and I tore through that like a man parched. The book may seem a little odd but the stories move well and the life is certainly an interesting one. The unbelievable will come true in all of our lives. (2) I picked up The Forever Hero by L.E. Modesitt, Jr. and I must admit to being rather disappointed. Basically, it was a watered down God-Emperor of Dune stretched into three books. Maybe it is just me, but if your hero needs to be immortal and the best at everything, I think you need to rework your plots. R.A. Salvatore, you are still on notice and will remain so until you learn to write better books. (3) I just finished If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor by Bruce "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell. I really enjoyed it for the humor and the stories about mixed success in Hollywood. I would call Bruce Campbell a very successful actor because he still works and can live his life in relative peace. Plus, HE WAS FREAKING ASH, DUDE! Ahem. I especially liked reading about the tough times and work it takes to get a movie shot, sold and distributed. (4) I am now reading Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors by Carl Sagan and Anne Druyan as part of my ongoing series, Read All the Books You Should Have in College.

7 Comments:

At 7/31/2006 3:24 PM, Blogger Chuckles said...

The pink and red background textures remind me of a wall after the zombie and chainsaw meet-n-greet.

 
At 8/01/2006 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got to work on a summer reading list.

 
At 8/02/2006 7:07 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

Yeah, I've got the paperback copy of If Chins Could Kill and it's a great read. One of the more entertaining and interesting actor autobiographies I've read.

Of course, now I'm just trying to decide whether to join Netflix so I can rent Brisco County Jr.

 
At 8/02/2006 10:59 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

I need to get BC, Jr. They have it at the Potomac Video next to my office but we keep renting crap like V for Vendetta and eastern European movies.

 
At 8/02/2006 3:28 PM, Blogger fulsome said...

OK, I have some books to read for the flight and will try and have Pitchfork and a book review done when I come back and then Lolla to follow.

Seriously. When I get back next week, I've got some internet time.

 
At 8/03/2006 9:04 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

LALALALALA, I'M NOT LISTENING!

 
At 9/15/2006 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Bohumil Hrabal's books. He is a great writer.

 

Post a Comment