The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Expertly Free

Now I know some of you hate iTunes with a passion (fulsome and Chuckles). But honestly, sometimes they do some cool stuff. Mainly that cool stuff consists of giving free songs/videos away.

I've been known to post about free stuff before but they're usually episodes of TV shows that I like (30 Rock and Psych for instance). Also, maybe if ABC had given away the first episode of Day Break more people would have watched that great show and it wouldn't be canceled now. I think I'm going to refuse to watch another ABC show simply because they are replacing Day Break with reruns of According to Jim and George Lopez. That station truly does hate everyone on this planet.

Anyway, back to the main point. As a owner of a Mac and watcher of the Daily Show, I've come to appreciate the humor of John Hodgman. Which is why I was really excited when I saw that the abridged audio version of The Areas of My Expertise is available on iTunes for free right now. It's also read by John Hodgman.

So if you don't hate America you should download it here.

9 Comments:

At 12/19/2006 8:34 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

I like John Hodgman and the Daily Show. There is no fucking way in heaven or hell I am downloading it from goddam goatfucking iTunes.

 
At 12/19/2006 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much dEn for the information. In contrast to Chuckles, whose massive wang has probably deprived important blood from his hippocampus, I love iTunes and am more than happy to partake in free audio and video downloads. I actually have never listened to an audiobook, so this will be a new, and hpefully hilarious experience for me.

 
At 12/19/2006 1:13 PM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Yeah, new and hopefully hilarious experience in variable loss rate audio unclarity.

 
At 12/19/2006 1:31 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

dude, it's a book on tape. If you need lossless on that, be my guest.

Also, even the audio and video encoded for DVDs is lossy. It's all about the bitrates though.

Plus, I'm not advocating buying songs off iTunes, I don't hardly ever do that, but they're completely free. So why not download them.

Plus, iTunes is a great music manager (it even downloads album art for your CD's/mp3s when you import them) and it does have a lossless format for importing music at. Just not buying it.

 
At 12/20/2006 6:45 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Not to sound like I want to gobble Bill Gates' nob, but WMP does all of that as well.

I downloaded WMP 11 and I should take a moment to say they took a good playlist editor and made it as shitty and hard to use as ever. They also fucked the library as well. I am sure I could change what I don't like but that would require reading shit on screen and I hate doing that. Pictures please!

 
At 12/20/2006 7:18 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

Regarding WMP 11. I've used it some before and it's no longer as painful to use as it used to be. However, I never found its layout to be the most intuitive.

Plus, up until a year or two ago (maybe even still) it didn't let you actually import anything in MP3 format, it would only let you use WMA unless you manually installed some other codecs.

I'm a fan of the "Party Shuffle" functionality of iTunes. It lets me randomize playing my entire library but it shows what was and will be played and lets you add a song in here or there that you'd like to listen to.

So I guess my point would be, if you think "Ok, these two pieces of software have the same functionality" why would you ever choose to go with a MS product? They have a proven and continuing track record of locking you into their mediocre software once they've established dominance (see the entire history of Microsoft).

I don't know if I'll be locked in with Apple or what but I haven't felt like I am yet and I certainly don't feel like they've just started sitting around getting rich on their success like Microsoft probably would.

 
At 12/20/2006 8:52 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

WMP's shuffle option sucks with a capital SUXXORZ. I use it at the office to rip and play because I don't want to install anything else. At home, I only use it to rip. I use WinAmp to play music and it works pretty well and the shuffle option works so much better than WMP.

 
At 12/21/2006 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dEn, thanks for the heads-up, i just downloaded it and will commence enjoyment shortly. and i do love the free songs they give away sometimes.

chuckster, winamp is great, too bad AOL killed it by firing the 2 best nullsoft programmers.

 
At 12/22/2006 8:04 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

That does suck, aif, but the version I have still works which is nice.

 

Post a Comment