The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

A Reprieve From Chuckles


I know it's been fun around here with Well Rounded Nerds turning into just another front for Freelance Genius. While my posts are usually neither Well Rounded nor Nerdy, I felt that the lack of posts (and perhaps the OD on Chuckles) may have been too much.

I've been in the process of moving the past week and a half and all of the difficulties that come from that (packing, changing addresses, utilities, etc.) and am just finally starting to dig out. Throw in an out of town wedding to attend for fun!

Yesterday marked the return of broadband internet. This time coming in the form of Verizon DSL. I don't know how good it is yet (I hear that DSL can be kind of weak) but hey, at less than half the price of Comcast cable internet I'm willing to deal.

As always, dealing with the utilities is a saga in and of itself. Just to get it ordered took two days and several hours on the phone. Then, it took them a week to schedule a tentative date for them to "provision" my line (whatever that means) before they shipped the DSL modem out to me. Supposedly I need to wait until after 6PM on Friday before hooking it up but hey, it came yesterday and being the daredevil that I am, hooked it up immediately. Not too surprisingly it worked and after I installed their pointless software on my laptop was able to connect the DSL modem to my router and get wireless in my apartment.

So anyway, that's up and running now and just in the nick of time. The TiVo is almost out of scheduling info. Now I'm in the process of trying to use my old PowerBook as a wireless bridge to connect my wired ethernet adapter on the TiVo to the wireless router in my bedroom (where the only phone jack in my apartment is). Of course I only have the one hub and no crossover cable so there may be some improvisation.

Anyway, just wanted to break up the monotany of the Chuckles posts and to make sure that it was clear that I am not completely dead yet.

3 Comments:

At 6/29/2006 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You nerds seem to move a lot.

 
At 6/29/2006 3:39 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

Yeah, well that happens when you're poor like me. And when your roommate takes a job in a different state.

But now I've got my own place and thanks to magically free cable, DSL internet, and not having to pay the gas bill, it really doesn't cost me any more than having a roommate.

Also, the neighbors are much quieter and I'm sure appreciate me rocking out on Guitar Hero to More Than a Feeling.

 
At 6/30/2006 7:53 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Only if you sing at the top of your lungs while playing.

Cuz that is how we do it.

 

Post a Comment