The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Things Not To Do If You Share an Office With Me

Ok, I don't know if this is going to become a regular thing or not. It really depends on the behavior of my co-worker with whom I share an office.

When you share an office or work area with another person there are some general rules that you usually follow. When making personal calls on your cell phone, you leave the office. If you have extra food, you offer it to the person you share the office with. If someone comes looking for you and you're not around your officemate should let you know that someone was looking for you. Things that are just common courtesy.

Something I didn't think I would specifically have to lay out is how it is, um, slightly impolite and quite annoying to trim your fingernails while someone else is sitting in the office with you. Moreover, I would say that you should probably just never trim your fingernails at the office (unless you work somewhere where that is for some strange reason required).

I don't know if it's just me and the fact that I'm not a big fan of finger(or toe)nail clippings and the sound that clippers make but this just seems pretty obvious. Still, I remember once when I was riding the Metra train in Chicago some woman was trimming her fingernails too. That annoyed me as well.

I'll go out on a limb and say that nail files are ok, possibly because they don't make the same piercing clipping noise and also because they don't leave large chunks of fingernail sitting around. Also a bonus, there's no risk of some rogue clipping flying off in my direction with a nail file ... with clippers you never know where it's going to end up.

Ok, so that's the end of this random post. In public areas nail file = ok, nail clippers = bad. That includes common areas (except the bathroom) in living quarters, because finding random finger/toenail pieces around is quite gross. There should be some sort of G.I. Joe PSA about this.

5 Comments:

At 9/22/2005 3:50 PM, Blogger fulsome said...

Um, I guess it's not quite spam although it doesn't really add a lot.

I am going to say that I find nail files far worse than clippers. They are a low-grade fingernails-on-the-chalkboard sensation. And painting fingernails or toenails makes such a smell.

So maybe we should just broaden the description to cover all such public cosmetic alterations to finger/toe-nails.

 
At 9/22/2005 4:20 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

Ok, but we're letting a guy post a website that's almost a direct competitor to our own (and no longer updated) Reviews 'N' Stuff website.

It just seems a little weird to me.

 
At 9/22/2005 7:56 PM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Nail filing should be done in the privacy of your own home. Any sort of behavior that leaves bits of organic residue that must be done at work should only be done in bathrooms where you can clean up after yourself. To forstall any lewdness, masturbation is a behavior that should never happen at the office.

 
At 9/22/2005 8:38 PM, Blogger mdhatter said...

I used to keep a pair of clippers on my desk for when the IT guy would show up and break my computer.

He liked to talk, and was very very annoying to me, and I usually finished his job for him anyhow, since he always broke my machine. Fingernal clipping annoyed him, then one day my machine stopped breaking.

So, what you been up to since then, Nachos?

0)

 
At 9/24/2005 12:21 PM, Blogger mdhatter said...

revisiting an old comment sometimes make you realize you came off as an ass.

sorry nachos

 

Post a Comment