The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Friday, September 30, 2005

Friday Random 10: Rock Will See Us Through the Weekend

1. C Average - Buckler: It's just what everyone needs, a heavy metal band that loves D&D. It's not bad on the metal side and it's an instrumental which is a +1 and it is apparently an instrumental ode to a small shield, which, I believe, is another +1. So it can have a 6/10.

2. Gorillaz - Every Planet We Reach is Dead: It's a pretty slow song that wouldn't sound too out of place on the last Blur album (except for a lack of guitar). Unfortunately that album wasn't that great 3/10

3. White Stripes - Blue Orchid: This song is awesomeness distilled into 2:37 of pure rock energy. Clanging cymbals, throbbing bass drum, and that miraculous bass tuning of Mr. Jack White. I believe this song takes it to 11.

4. Snuggle Ups - Check It Out: A band out of Portland playing some decent laptop pop 6.5/10.

5. Kent - Things She Said: The English Album from a Swedish band that sounds sort of like Radiohead. It's very much in the mid/late 90's dreamy guitar phase that I still enjoy. 7/10

6. The Zutons - A Long Time Coming: Supplied to me by DontEATNachos, this band is excellent. At first I thought they were a ska band but they are really a straight-up rock band with a tenor sax. It makes every song 1.5x as sexy. This is one of their faster songs and it is quite tasty 7/10

7. The Lovemakers - Is It Alright?: This band is a SF band that seems to have been adopted by Live 105. It's got some decent, dancy tracks but it's not gonna change the musical landscape. 5/10

8. The Ponys - Today: Garage rock band out of Chicago with a dash of Richard Hell. They are excellent live. This song has the vocals a little too prominent for my taste and too little of that glorious dirty tuning of the live act. 5/10

9. The Decemberists - The Bachelor and the Bride: One of the premiere storytelling bands around. Possibly even dipping their toes into the label of troubadour. This song is typical of their whimsical excellence and the lovely, slightly dark tone that most of their songs contain 8/10

10. Grandaddy - OK With My Decay: Laid-back song with some moderately spacey vocals. It's not a bad track but maybe a little long for my personal attention span. 5/10

Mathematical Average: 6.3+
Indie Cred Approximation: 7 (lose points for too new of White Stripes and Lovemakers, but worked in Grandaddy, The Ponys, and The Decemberists)

7 Comments:

At 9/30/2005 5:27 PM, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

Sometimes I think I like the Decemberists, then I realize that I want to like them, and that I'm forcing it. I think it has something to do with the lead singer's voice -- in particular, his diction: it makes me want to scream with fury and slap him really hard. It was really bad when I heard "We Both Go Down Together" the first few times.

 
At 9/30/2005 7:40 PM, Blogger fulsome said...

I can understand that. I do find that Ilike the concept better than the band itself. I think they're servicable and I really like the little angle they explore so they generally get bonus points for that. However, I think they could be better musicians. I guess I tend to think of them as more of a performance than a musical experience.

 
At 9/30/2005 10:59 PM, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

Well in that sense you're absolutely right. And the concept is not executed ineptly. In that way they're kind of like a more sophisticated, more emotionally mature, less preachy 10,000 Maniacs.

 
At 10/01/2005 6:36 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

What the hell is dream theater? People who like tribute bands more than the tributed band bug me. Iguess they are just music morons. Since I just downoad everything I can get me hands on that fulsome likes, I should stay out of these music nerd battles.

 
At 10/01/2005 2:53 PM, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

So sorry, PP, you were saying?

;P

 
At 11/04/2005 12:41 AM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11/29/2005 5:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A

 

Post a Comment