The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Back to more Important Matters

I've decided maybe Nero wasn't such a bad guy. Fiddling while Rome burns? Sometimes that seems like the only sensible option. Otherwise you have confront the painful, obvious truth that something you love dearly is becoming a charred, withered husk upon the ground. Something that spectators can only shake their heads and remember when it used to be something more impressive. [Yes, I know Nero may have started the fire but don't harsh my lovely metaphor!]

So, to that end I have planned a glorious trip to Amoeba music store tomorrow to ease my pain with the lovely sounds of piano, bass, cornet, and some ear-splitting guitar. I am pretty open to suggestions right now but I think I need mind-numbingly complex music to overload my brain.

So here's my current thought on things to buy (or not buy) and I'll take additional comments.

Not buying:
  • Yo La Tengo - because despite it's a$$ kicking name and anthemic riffs don't know if I can take the gentle pop ballads. I am open to being convinced otherwise.

  • Brightblack Morninglight - I want this album a lot. Probably because it seems like it might be sufficiently weird. Unfortunately it seems to exceed the qurrent quiet quota.

  • Junior Boys - I think I'm alright with the quantity of nu-dance I already have. I understand they're good at what they do but I think I'm fine without it. Also, to be honest, it is probably 20% anti-PFM favoritism bias.

Shortlist:
  • Mastodon - This is the metal all the kids are talking about. Is it everything it's cracked up to be? Only one way to find out, the listening station at Amoeba.

  • Soweto Kinch - British jazz/hip-hop/??? that is getting weird critical reviews. I think it deserves a chance

  • Kinski - I somehow ended up with one of their CDs and it can be a go-to CD for certain moods. This is one of them so their latest seems like a possibility

  • The Guillemots - to make up for unreasoning anti-PFM bias, here's a PFM suggestion that sounds good

  • Xiu Xiu - one of my first weird favorites have another new album. Gorgeous screams and crazy percussion, I hope.

Suggestions and critiques sought. I need to have some plan of action when I go in there or trouble will surely result.

Update:
  • Boris and/or sunn0))) - Potentially more awesome metal/noise that is creeping into music nerd vocabulary. I'm on the hunt
  • Yat-Kha - Tuvan Rock! I don't know what it means but hopefully I will soon
  • Zutons - British neo-soul! Maybe? I dunno, but I like a rollickin' sax solo as much as the next guy. If only they didn't have those pesky slow songs. Might not make it this time but definitely on the pile for later

15 Comments:

At 10/04/2006 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about Boris?

How could you.

UC likes YLT I think.

 
At 10/04/2006 2:07 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

The new Zutons album came out a week or two ago in the US. I just ordered mine off Amazon.

 
At 10/04/2006 2:23 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

Also, when using [LI]'s in your html make sure you specify a what kind of list it is. Like a [UL] which is an unordered list or an [OL] which is an ordered list.

So yeah, I fixed your bullet points.

 
At 10/04/2006 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

UC also likes pork. Clearly, he cannot be trusted.

 
At 10/04/2006 3:26 PM, Blogger fulsome said...

Boris is on the list but I didn't find them the last time so I was already thinking I might buy direct from the ur-metal label Southern Lord.

 
At 10/04/2006 3:36 PM, Blogger fulsome said...

also, why do I have to do that to indent the list? Your CSS muddies the water! Why XML and acronyms!

Peanut brittle!

 
At 10/04/2006 4:06 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

you have to use a [UL] or [OL] to tell it that there is a list. Otherwise you've just got list items without any specification of a list. If you just want bullet points, there are ways to do that without abusing the [LI] tag.

CSS is all about logical hierarchy and you destroyed that.

 
At 10/04/2006 5:23 PM, Blogger fulsome said...

LI says this is a list. Why else would I have list items? Think it through.

Unnecessary hierarchy = the man!

 
At 10/04/2006 9:13 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

no, because then you have no idea where the list begins or ends. clearly, you're presenting two different lists there, but thanks to your lack of tagging, it's not obvious from the tags the structure of the document.

The point is to be able to outline a document based entirely on tags. So that way you could render the document in different ways and grab useful data out of them. That's the whole point of using xhtml (which is html that conforms to xml spec).

 
At 10/05/2006 8:30 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

I think CSS might be a little too much French pop dancey stuff for you, even though I was totally inspired in a Star Wars post by one of my t-shirts and the Music Is My... Song.

I think you and dEn are talking about a different kind of CSS though.

As for other music, Brightback Morninglight is almost too low for even a well-stoned person to listen. I recommend you try and find The Features.

 
At 10/05/2006 8:43 AM, Blogger fulsome said...

You are so behind the times, Chuckles. I've owned The Features album for two years. Some of my favorite southern bar rock.

CSS are alright but not what I want right now (fun set, though). Actually, I'll give you an extra point on the music nerd chart for getting far enough out there to find them.

sinophiliac: now we're talking! weird siberian rock, yes!

dEn: we all know the internet is just a series of tubes. Stop trying to overthink it.

 
At 10/05/2006 9:27 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

What about Hard-Fi? They may be a little too pop for you.

 
At 10/05/2006 12:12 PM, Blogger fulsome said...

Hard-Fi: Let us all sing the praises of the internet and music blogs. I was turned on to this band only a few days ago by the newly returned Teaching Indie Kids to Dance Again. I downloaded the mp3 and it seemed ok but based on the description of the overall sound I knew I wanted to see the show. I pestered the rest of the group into seeing this set. Hard-Fi came through in spades. They put on an excellent show, managing to inspire sporadic dancing from the crowd, and definitely came to play. They covered The White Stripes’ Seven Nation Army and it was a winner. He sang the vocals pretty dead on and they completely rearranged the rhythms. I don’t really know how to describe it but I can say it was an unquestionable success. Our whole group came away from that set with the feeling that Lollapalooza was now underway.

 
At 10/05/2006 3:17 PM, Blogger mdhatter said...

Dresden Dolls - "Yes, Virginia", 2006

one paino, one drum kit, two voices. "post-punk cabaret" a tad dark, but kicks ass.

 
At 10/06/2006 9:02 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

fulsome I told you about the Seven Nation Army cover when I saw them in March.

I totally scooped Teaching the Indie Kids to Dance.

 

Post a Comment