The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Thursday, April 27, 2006

In The Year 2000 ...

I always enjoy tech punditry. I wish someone paid me money to come up with ridiculous things that aren't ever going to happen.

Take for instance this CNet article. The guy is arguing that we're going to soon be buying ring tones for the turn signal sound, or door ajar sound that a car makes. I don't quite see his point.

I mean, customizing this stuff could be fun and interesting, but there is no point to individualizing those tones. No one but people in your car hear them, so you can't use them to impress complete strangers.

Ring tones do, at their core, serve a useful purpose. They allow a person who is standing in a group to tell whose phone is ringing based only on the ring alone. Sure they're abused now (I mean, my phone plays the A-Team theme song when it rings) but as mobile phones have become more prevalent, distinct ring tones still serve a useful purpose. Custom blinker tones do not and as such could never gain the widespread popularity that ego/personality displaying tech does.

Now these rims on the other hand ...

16 Comments:

At 4/27/2006 12:29 PM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Oh shit yeah, those are rims I could see myself buying for my massively pimped Prius. That is completely imaginary.

 
At 4/27/2006 1:57 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

Prius?!? Those things are going on my Kia Rio or my 1991 Honda Civic!

 
At 4/28/2006 6:35 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

I can't wait to get my new thirty inch diameter tail pipe installed. Sure, it needs to be replaced every 30 miles, but the sound quality is so perfectly analog.

 
At 4/28/2006 7:48 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

yeah, also, make sure that the tint on the windows has air bubbles in it. They make the car look sweeeeeeeeeeet.

 
At 4/28/2006 10:16 AM, Blogger pop renaissance said...

holy shit - i'm gonna get those rims, then make that chick do it with the wife. this is gonna be great!

 
At 4/28/2006 10:18 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

As long as you provide photographic evidence.

 
At 4/28/2006 10:18 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

otherwise, it's just another long boring story.

 
At 4/28/2006 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pop Star, bad rock star, no pot brownie!

Women are NOT chicks. Just ask Chuckie.

 
At 4/29/2006 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what rims? all i could see was a blonde in a push-up and short shorts.

who likes short shorts, bitchez@!

 
At 5/01/2006 5:49 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

I'd like to get my hands on her short-

well, you know.

 
At 5/01/2006 7:35 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

WTF, why do all of the comments end up declining into Chuckles making obscene remarks?

 
At 5/01/2006 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DEN, I hear you! I wondered too until one day I did the math:

1 Male, Chuckie
0 Women dating him
0 Potential Women for him
0 Chance of Chuckie getting any women
Infinite Chance of Chuckie getting any men
______
=
Rude comments and gestures on the blog about women, note NOT chicks, women!

 
At 5/01/2006 3:45 PM, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

"I can't wait to get my new thirty inch diameter tail pipe installed."

Size queen.

 
At 5/02/2006 6:37 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Ok, first of all:
To answer teh: sure, size matters, but if they are enormous balloons, I don't want them in my face.

Second of all, to answer DEN and AG:
PopRen brought it all to the level of dirty remarks. I started with On Topic comments about my pimped out Prius.

 
At 5/02/2006 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuckwagon:

You have a pimped out bike, love chop.

P.S., you pimped out a car. Who is more sick now, you or Mr. Pot Smoking Rock Star?

What happened to all the stuff you were going to do with Clifwagon and the Cobag signs, BTW?

 
At 5/02/2006 8:46 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

I don't own a car, AG. We were making jokes about those who do pimp out cars in useless fashion.

 

Post a Comment