The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Monday, February 13, 2006

Let's Cancel A Show: A Broadcast Network Story


So I didn't notice this until today, but a new (and actually quite interesting) show, Love Monkey, got cancelled last week. Add to that the cancellation of Arrested Development (with its Series Finale last Friday) and it looks like we'll be short two interesting television shows.

Worse yet, they've also cancelled The War At Home and American Dad, both of which were phenomenally multifaceted comedies. What's that? They didn't cancel either one of those bastard shows?!?

I know it's too easy to blame "dumb people" for watching stupid shows (like why is COPS still on?) and getting sucked into hype machines. Does anyone have any idea what is going on in Lost or Desperate Housewives anymore ... I've watched like 2 episodes of each show and I'm completely bewildered as to whatever is going on in them.

Still, it's so frustrating when there is an enjoyable TV show that people won't watch because it's "too funny" or "not retarded enough." I'm convinced that CBS took Love Monkey off because they realized that it wasn't a police procedural. Perhaps if we told them that Tom Cavanagh's character was an undercover cop, looking to bust drug dealers in the NY music scene, they'd have left it on.

In its place we'll probably get another CSI ... wait, no, we're getting the Unit instead. It's like 24 but with different actors the same actors. Hmmm ... ok. Good for it.

What's the point of this? I guess it's that I got my new TiVo set up last night and as I was going through and rescheduling my Season Passes, I realized that some of my favorite new shows (like that dreamy Emily's Reason's Why Not .. that show was awesome!) are already gone. This made me think about shows getting canceled quickly (other examples include Firefly, the Tick: Live Action Edition, the original Family Guy, Upright Citizens Brigade, etc.)

So I sign off with this: to shows that are gone because they were not police procedurals, I salute you! To those that just sucked ... I'm sorry, better luck next time. And to those bags of crap still on the air ... I really can't think of anything clever to say about you.

10 Comments:

At 2/13/2006 2:20 PM, Blogger Chuckles said...

I was going to be a son of a bitch and point out that you probably meant to say that it wasn't a procedural, but whatever.

The only broadcast shows I watch are The Office and sometimes Smallville.

 
At 2/13/2006 3:00 PM, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

Um, actually, Love Monkey and Scrubs pretty much suck ass. Sorry dude.

 
At 2/13/2006 3:30 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

teh l4me apparently still upset that the spinoff of Half-Baked never made it past the pilot ...

Scrubs and Love Monkey are both quite enjoyable.

 
At 2/13/2006 5:27 PM, Blogger fulsome said...

I mostly agree with teh but I can see that those programs (Scrubs and Love Monkey) are higher caliber versions of those types of programs so they don't get my hatred the way AD gets replaced by "Loop" and "Free Ride" and absolut (no E was intentionally branding because that's what these shows are!) krap keeps filling up the airwaves.

 
At 2/14/2006 6:02 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

Yeah, I guess my lament is really just that people don't like the same thing as me. So they cancel shows I enjoy.

It's frustrating that sometimes it seems like tv execs decide they don't like a show before it even airs and will sabotage it or pull it before it has a chance to grow at all.

That's their business though, still it's just frustrating how similar every single show on CBS is.

The same goes with Fox, they kill Arrested Development but keep The War At Home in its cushy post-Simpsons spot. It just doesn't make sense to me and is very frustrating.

 
At 2/14/2006 7:06 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

The War at Home blows worse than the War in Iraq. Ok, maybe not, but you get my point. dEn has a very good point with the executives.

Some dude made the decision to rat pack Firefly by showing it out of order and some exec over at Showtime went on alleged crusade against Dead Like Me so he could get funding for Fat Actress and Huff. Nobody has ever liked Kirstie Alley, dude.

From what I understand, which is all based on rumor, it seems like all the execs have to compete and fight to get their pet shows on the air and so they do what they can to sabotage each other. Now that is a highly productive environment.

 
At 2/14/2006 7:06 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Scrubs is good!

 
At 2/14/2006 6:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I lost faith in TV when ABC canceled Once and Again a few years ago despite a fairly decent audience backing and a serious protest and website campaign.

Oh, but Survior is still on?! What do you expect from a country and media which are ignorant, conservative and McDonald's eating!

 
At 2/15/2006 6:48 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Yeah, except that Once and Again sucked ass.

 
At 2/22/2006 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still miss The Tick. Has that guy done anything else?

 

Post a Comment