The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The Return of TiVo Watch

So a week and a half ago, I come back from going to the gym on Sunday and try to watch the episode of Meet the Press that my TiVo was supposed to record. Instead, when I turn on the TV I just see the screen frozen on what looks to be an episode of the Power Puff girls. I try changing the channel with the remote but nothing works. Getting desperate, I unplug the TiVo and plug it back in.

After plugging it back in, everything seems to be working fine (well, except that it didn't record Meet the Press ... it had been stuck on Cartoon Network since sometime after it recorded an Episode of Big O). I was going about my day as usual when my roommate comes up to me and says, "Your speakers are making a buzzing noise."

The speakers are just a year old and are well taken care of so I didn't really believe him. I assumed that he had messed something up and that his Xbox was probably causing problems or vibrating or something. Still, when I went to go investigate I could definitely hear the buzzing. Then as I slowly unplugged components I was left with only one device ... the TiVo.

I could hear it buzzing and it stopped when I unplugged it so I thought maybe the fan is just rubbing against a cable. So I stick the eraser end of a pencil into the fan vent stop it from rotating. The buzzing continues though. The next step was to take the TiVo into my room and try plugging it into a different circuit (a solution that some people on the TiVo support bulletin boards suggested). Unfortunately that didn't work.

Still curious as to what exactly was making the buzzing noise, I popped the cover off the TiVo and took a look. It was pretty obvious that the noise was coming from the hard drive (which was only a 40GB drive ... I should totally replace that, or add a second hard drive or something). The weird thing was that if I turned the TiVo on its side, the buzzing stopped.

Anyway, I quickly called up TiVo support and explained the issue to them. They said it was most likely a hardware problem and that I needed to RMA it. Unfortunately for me, even though it was under warranty, they weren't willing to pay shipping to get it back to them (and since it was a gift, I didn't have the receipt to just take it back to the store).

So I FedEx Grounded the TiVo back to them and got an email on Thursday saying that they'd received it and that my new replacement TiVo would be sent out in 2 business days. Now I'm just trying to kill time until I get it (at which time I'll have to go through the whole initial setup thing again ... ouch).

Anyway, cross your fingers and hope that the new TiVo will be arriving in the not too distant future.


Continue On To Full Post ...

13 Comments:

At 2/01/2006 10:01 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

My dad had a computer in Denmark just like that. He had to leave the case open so the fan could be smacked when it got too loud. The fan would gradually whine louder and louder. I got bad enough that you had to keep one finger on the center of the fan to keep it from revving up.

 
At 2/02/2006 12:41 PM, Blogger Chuckles said...

The suspense is killin me. KILLIN ME!

 
At 2/02/2006 2:19 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

The lack of TiVo is killing me. I'm going to miss the Office again tonight.

 
At 2/02/2006 2:58 PM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Oh suck it all! Me too for the third week in a row! Damn it all to heckfi. I completely missed BSG last week, too.

 
At 2/02/2006 6:54 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

Battlestar Galactica was nothing too great. I'm actually starting to get a little bored of it now.

 
At 2/02/2006 8:12 PM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Woah. I caught the last minute of it and I want to see the rest. I am worried that they will doom and gloom themselves too much.

 
At 2/03/2006 12:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ya'll are sounding like those AA's I mocked and then got trolled on.

 
At 2/03/2006 12:27 PM, Blogger Chuckles said...

You mocked alacoholics anonymous?

 
At 2/06/2006 7:06 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

So what is the word on Son of TiVo?

 
At 2/07/2006 7:42 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Any word of Son of TiVo?

 
At 2/07/2006 7:45 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Goddam blogger.

 
At 2/08/2006 1:01 PM, Blogger fulsome said...

Has the omnipotent tivo monster returned? Status please! Maybe that's what the silence means?

 
At 2/09/2006 7:40 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Exteriminate all rational thought.

Videodrome has inserted a TiVo into my abdomen.

 

Post a Comment