The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Of Montreal @ GAMH on 2/3/06

Let's work our way through the show in chronological order. Also, the pics are stolen from shymuse on flickr.

We got there in time to see The MGMT. They seem to be playing rather derivative 80's rock anthem music. They were wearing the headbands and everything. I think they were supposed to be ironic but the music was not high enough quality to get the pass. Instead it was just foolish.

After that it was the band "Grand Buffet." They are a white boy rap group out of Pittsburgh. They actually seemed to have a lot of potential because they weren't strictly limited to rap but had some interesting ideas floating around the edges of their music. The lead singer had an awesome red beard that would have impressed the mighty tehl4m3, although the drawn on abs and skinny boy look may have saved him from the "back alley treatment." Also, the fat man of the duo was a successful dancer. So they managed to avoid being bad but I was moderately surprised because there was a decent chunk (20%) of the crowd that seemed into them while I was unaware of their existence.

Of Montreal is fronted by Kevin Barnes who actually had me fairly convinced he is a queen. It turns out there is simply another adjective to precede that and it is drama, since he is married and his wife plays keyboards. I state this as something that actually enhanced the show because watching him go through at least five different outfits was mostly unexpected for an indie rock show. He came out in a wedding gown, switched to some gauzy shirt, then this one,


followed by this and then closing with some crazy orange raincoat.

The crowd-watching was rather enjoyable as well. I was in the balcony due to my compatriots preference for sitting so we had an eagle eye view of the situation. There was Andre the Giant, Jr. -- fatter and shorter but the same glorious hair and his two equally socially inept friends, a number of teeny-bop girls at the front, and, apparently no show in SF is now complete without the "girl who thinks she can dance." This time, it was a woman who was seated directly next to me. I kept thinking, "I don't really want to stare at your tits but if you keep gyrating around and end up in my lap it's not exactly my fault."

At any rate, the show was a success, the mango looked tasty, and they did indeed play "Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games."

POSTCRIPT: Video killed the Radio Star
(effective subtitle: I'm a follower not a leader)



BONUS UPDATE: next planned show to attend is either The Botticellis @ Cafe du Nord or Eleventeen @ Bottom of the Hill. Recommendations gratefully accepted.

8 Comments:

At 2/08/2006 3:25 PM, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

Whee! But of course they'd play it. It's their new hit single.

So did this "chick who thinks she can dance" also have a broad, flat ass?

 
At 2/08/2006 5:09 PM, Blogger fulsome said...

Well, it was not the true flatness of the Kimo's Experience but I think two Jr. Cheeseburgers could have been safely placed there.

 
At 2/09/2006 7:28 AM, Blogger Lily said...

I think I like this blog. A shitful of weirdness, but interesting digs.

Hey- teh 14m3! I couldn't remember your damn alias! There ya are.

 
At 2/09/2006 7:37 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Mr. fulsome, my question is in reference to the breasts in questions. Could you eat a sandwhich of them?

 
At 2/09/2006 8:12 AM, Blogger pop renaissance said...

this is how all reviews should be.

my vote is for the voxtrot show at the hemlock.

 
At 2/09/2006 8:42 AM, Blogger fulsome said...

Hmm, yes, too continue my sexist ways, the breasts in question were indeed "not small."

Kid606 @ Hemlock? That's so weird as to almost be worth attending. And I almost wish I was able to go to the Japanther St. Val Day show.

And thanks, I guess, to Lily :) Stay and enjoy the party

 
At 2/09/2006 1:15 PM, Blogger Chuckles said...

Dude, when is Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra coming back to town?

 
At 2/09/2006 3:56 PM, Blogger fulsome said...

UC -- I think I am with you. It's rather clear he has fallen off the E6 wagon and it was a little disappointing on that front. Very little old stuff was played. It is still mostly fun and worthwhile. I'm totally confused now though because it looks like Dottie is still playing Keyboard but then I read somewhere else his wife Nina was with them.

Anyway, I am trying to explore more loud/garage-y stuff atm so I'll take suggestions on that front as well.

 

Post a Comment