The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Reunion Time!

My GF, knowing that I'm a fan of the Audioslave, sent me an article today about Tom Morello's new self-titled acoustic album he's putting out under his solo name: The Nightwatchman. In it Morello talks about how he is kind of going the Bob Dylan route but backwards.

It's pretty interesting. I'd heard about his Nightwatchman act back during the 2004 campaign some. It sounds interesting and now that he's got an actual album coming out I'll probably have to give it a listen (maybe better than Frank Black's acoustic album?).

However, the thing that they mentioned in it that I had not heard is that Rage Against the Machine is reuniting for a single show at Coachella this year. RATM!!! I was this close to seeing them perform live back in the day (the tour they were supposed to do with the Beastie Boys back in like 2000 I think) but then Mike D or someone was in a motorcycle accident and they canceled the thing.

Now, all I have to do is fly my ass out to Coachella, find a hotel, and buy a ridiculously overpriced ticket and I'd get to see RATM like I'd always wanted to.

I sincerely hope that somehow out of this a permanent RATM reunion happens. Even if you didn't agree with the politics in their music, you have to admit that they actually had a voice, and in the current political climate, it's a voice that I think would resonate with the kids and at least get them more interested in these political issues. Or at least those who remember Rage and how they used to stand and try to fight for things they cared about.

6 Comments:

At 2/08/2007 11:53 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

I think I might have liked RATM if they had any talent.

 
At 2/08/2007 11:53 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

I think I might have liked RATM if they had any talent.

 
At 2/08/2007 11:56 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

WTH?

 
At 2/08/2007 1:35 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

oh yes, tom morello couldn't guitar his way out of a wet paper bag. what a talentless hack.

 
At 2/08/2007 8:18 PM, Blogger mdhatter said...

I agree with all choices, except I've parely listened to Audislave.

I certainly hope RATM unites for a while. I saw a RATM2.0 graphic a while ago... seems promising, and looked like an album cover.

also, one of the reasons Frank Black sounds good is his non-use of mixing and dubbing. One take studio tracks only.

 
At 2/09/2007 9:11 AM, Blogger fulsome said...

Audioslave still makes me cry.

I keep saying I should go to Coachella but then wonder "is it too late" or "do I really want to stand in the blazing sun for two straight days?"

Maybe...

 

Post a Comment