The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Modestly Freaked Out


Ok, I've talked about it before, but I listen to a fair amount of internet radio at work (radio.wazee FTW). So I'm sitting here doing work today and there's a song that comes on. As quite often happens, it is a song I don't know. It starts out good with a little ska beat and some guitar then the horns come in and it turns into this crazy ska cover of Modest Mouse.

So I bring up the radio station window to see what ska band is doing Modest Mouse covers now. Only when I get to it, it says it isn't some crazy ska band but actually a Modest Mouse song.

It's apparently the song Dashboard off their new album. Honestly, if the whole thing is going in that direction, I may have to actually buy the album simply because the way this track surprised me (I don't know if Modest Mouse used to have this kind of sound or not. I only heard their previous CD because fulsome has it).

Anyway, if you want to listen to it, you can go to the Modest Mouse website (www.modestmousemusic.com). You probably won't be as freaked out by it as I was but it's definitely worth a listen if you haven't heard it yet.

1 Comments:

At 2/06/2007 4:03 PM, Blogger fulsome said...

Ok, that's a pretty slick tune. I think I like it but I really need to see how it ties in to the album. I usually like trying to find the themes in a Modest Mouse album.

I guess I'm hoping it's more of a "Float On" than the true soul of the album.

 

Post a Comment