The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Now That's What I Call Structural Integrity

A couple months ago, I saw a link to photos of an exhibit entitled Animatus for a Korean artist named Hyungkoo Lee at the ARARIO GALLERY and I meant to post about it then, I just never got around to it. Today I was cleaning up some bookmarks and saw it again so I thought I'd actually put something up.

What's interesting is that the exhibit consists entirely of skeletons for famous cartoon characters. The artist uses resin, aluminum sticks, stainless steel wires, springs and oil paint to simulate the bones of the various characters.

It's really cool how he captures the exaggerated features and shapes of some of the most notable characters. The Latin names shown below the images (on the page) are useful for figuring out which character it is supposed to be (if it isn't obvious). The fact that most of the page is in Korean will mean you're kind of on your own for other details. I've included a couple of the skeletons next to their animated character below.


If you have the time though, I'd recommend you check the site out yourself. The images load kind of slowly but are definitely cool.

4 Comments:

At 2/07/2007 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You always find the best stuff on the Internets.

What is your secret to these genius finds?

 
At 2/07/2007 10:07 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

No secret really, I just waste way too much time reading things on them.

Also, I used to drive a dump truck so I appreciate the novelty of the tubes. It gives me a keen eye for the unique qualities of the various web logs.

 
At 2/08/2007 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back up a minute...you used to drive a dump truck?!

 
At 2/09/2007 8:50 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

yeah, that honestly never came up before?

No, it actually was a fairly lame joke that apparently did not zing as much as it was supposed to.

Sad day.

 

Post a Comment