The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Gruntwork pays off: behold the iBeef

As most of you probably know. I have seemingly been relegated to Pinko Punko's not terribly efficient go-fer. Our conversations, both via e-mail and in real life, often consist of something like:

PP: "Hey, whatcha doing?"
F: "This or that."
PP: "I heard of this cool thing."
F: "Oh?"
PP: "Yea, it's XXXXX"
in this particular instance, it is the legend of a Chicago style Italian Beefery in the greater Bay/Yay area
F: "You're right, that sounds neat."
PP: "We should totally check it out."
F: with great enthusiasm"Wow, you're right."

days, more likely weeks, go by

F: "Hey, whatever happened to XXXXX."
PP: "It is cool but it is ______" - the options here to date are [note: I am not claiming this is a closed (or complete) set]: a) too far, b) costs money c) occurs on a non-Saturday d) conflicts with dog poop schedule e) does not involve a stunning red track suit.

So now that we've got the preliminary snark out of the way, read the rest if you want to see details of the iBeef




Gumbah's does live up to it's claim. It is an unabashedly Chicagoan restaurant. In fact it could probably be considered a gratuitously Chicago style restaurant if it weren't for the semi-retired owner who sits inside and makes chit-chat and clearly takes pride in the Chicago feel.

photo 1: Let's set the scene. I described it as "Bulls jerseys from when they were great, Bears jerseys from when they were good, Blackhawk jersey (singular), Sox jerseys from when they were bad, and Cubs jerseys that represent their everlasting failure.

photo 2: Behold the juicy, greasy, and unquestionably delicious iBeef. The bread is a solid match. It is thick and chewy to absorb a solid quantity of juice and yet allow me the minimally sufficient time required to ingest the sandwich. The only possible flaw is the quality of roast beef. It is high quality roast beef with nary a hint of fat or gristle, and for anyone who's eaten their share of Italian Beef sandwiches, this can come as a little bit of a shock.


Overall, the sandwich in this iteration deserves an 8+ (out of 10). I think the addition of Polish sausage to this sandwich or, alternately, the use of crunchy hot peppers instead of the sweet peppers could bump this sandwich to at least a 9. Unfortunately, we had already been treated to lunch at the meeting so I was unable to follow up with the appropriate gusto.

The owner assured me they are open most Saturdays and has previously supplied his phone number so we can call that day and ensure we won't end up disappointed in Vallejo. I believe that this eatery is worth another visit and I am already working on how to arrange additional work-related functions that require my presence.


Addendum (Jonah Goldberg style): There may be an instance from this very week wherein PP did initiate and agree to participating in an activity. I then proceed to ignore his entreaties to make this a reality and then laughed mercilessly when it was unable to come about. However, I don't think that in any way changes the truth of my larger point.

19 Comments:

At 8/24/2006 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AG could totally tear this up, but it's just too damn easy. So, no comment.

(AG snickers and moves onto the next blog.)

 
At 8/24/2006 5:05 PM, Blogger fulsome said...

AG, this is the place for the tearing of stuff. Bring it on! Because I can counter whatever poor claims you make about me by pointing out that your whole online existence revolves around UC!

Take that, tank girl! One shot over the starboard bow.

 
At 8/24/2006 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My rip was not going to be on you or your beef. So, pull back 1,000, cowboy. It was about a certain sexist.

Also, behave or I will post your picture for HNT! UC gave me his photo of you.

 
At 8/24/2006 7:41 PM, Blogger Chuckles said...

TANK GIRL!

HAHAHAHAROFLLOLLMAOAHAHAHAHA

That nails her to the A and the G.

The first picture looks like a dorm room.

I will email you Cubs in Five. You need that song.

 
At 8/24/2006 7:44 PM, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

I am shocked and dismayed by the glaring lack of track suit in this post.

 
At 8/24/2006 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sparing us doggies and ugly sporting wear.

 
At 8/24/2006 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AG's a himbo.

fulsome may be dead to me. I think this needs to be cross-posted a certain somewhere wherein your dear readers will get the full amount of information.

 
At 8/24/2006 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

additionally, fulsome is challenged to a possible viet sammie offie on sat. plans or forming. he may apologise in person.

 
At 8/25/2006 4:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Name calling is like what, for 5th grade losers?

AG has another HNT Michigan t-shirt photo except (thank goodness no ugly track suit), this one won't be Half-NT. It will show all. Aaah, AG loves the teachings of Patrick Bell's Internet world.

La. La.

 
At 8/25/2006 7:52 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

Were these comments even in english? I'm confused.

Anyway, it's too bad that I live within walking distance of two excellent italian beef places. They may not have Chicago memorabilia all over but they do have excellent sandwiches.

 
At 8/25/2006 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time for some Zlortonian S-Beast repellant.

I love how AG won't take on fulsome because she can't handle that burrito python.

 
At 8/25/2006 9:36 AM, Blogger fulsome said...

AG: There is nothing but love here. OK, maybe love and razor sharp talons to shred the ones we love.

teh: I don't have access to a track suit and since PP did not make the trip it is a difficult situation

PP: I can cross post this. Note that I also mentioned Saturday availability so it could get a full report.

dEn: how could you have these places and not mention them when I was there?????

 
At 8/25/2006 12:48 PM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

Sorry, I just found these places after I moved to my new apartment in June.

Since it's in a slightly different location I walk to different places for dinner.

I also found an ice cream place called the Dairy Godmother. Fun times!

 
At 8/25/2006 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fullie: Yes and a certain one who really loves the boys of WRN.

dEn: It's good to avoid the beef all together.

Sexist: Get over yourself. Your picture is getting posted and UC WILL hear about this!

Nobody needs to take Fullie on. That is neither the point of the post or AG's comments. AG likes Fullie.

 
At 8/25/2006 4:02 PM, Blogger mdhatter said...

does that make GC Jet to AG's Tank Girl?

 
At 8/26/2006 11:27 AM, Blogger teh l4m3 said...

PS d00d did you get my letter? our mail has been funky lately...

 
At 8/27/2006 12:57 PM, Blogger Chuckles said...

I think AG is sexist.

 
At 8/27/2006 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a fine line between sexist and sexy.

 
At 8/27/2006 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Chuckles is acting like a fulsome.

 

Post a Comment