The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Experience With WordPress

So I've just started converting an old site of mine from a lame static HTML page to a WordPress driven site. So far it's gone surprisingly well.

I've never done anything with PHP before but it has been surprisingly easy to pick up. I do have to say that the WordPress Template tags are pretty useless if you're used to programming. They don't work on the same level you do, they're all designed for generating HTML not generating values used to generate HTML.

Still, I've found much of the process interesting and it's given me a reason to finally get back to work on mastering my CSS styles.

I have realized that this 30 day trial I have of Dreamweaver 8 won't be enough, so I'll most likely have to buy a copy of it. That then makes me wonder if I should spend the $200 to upgrade to the standard version or the $500 for the one that includes all the goodies like Macromedia Director and Fireworks. Right now I'm using Photoshop and creating rollover buttons and the like has been quite a pain.

Anyway, if anyone has experience with this stuff, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks.

9 Comments:

At 2/23/2006 1:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

for you to post that on a site that looks like this is...what's the word? Wait, it will come to me.

 
At 2/23/2006 2:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're never gonna get anywhere with that "i'm gonna pay for my software".

i probably will, though it's gonna be a small square room that i will share with a skinhead named white power jim and then he'll stab me.

 
At 2/23/2006 2:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that should read

" you're never gonna get anywhere with that "i'm gonna pay for my software"attitude

 
At 2/23/2006 8:04 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

I read someone's comments somewhere saying they turned a 30 day trial into a 90 day trial by never quitting the program...I would nto advise this. I can talk to my friend about some photoshop licenses they might have leftover from work.

 
At 2/23/2006 9:32 AM, Blogger fulsome said...

Wow, trash talk from the man that thinks yellow text on sky blue is ideal.

 
At 2/23/2006 10:19 AM, Blogger dontEATnachos said...

I'll be honest. I don't really have any major problem with this color scheme.

 
At 2/23/2006 2:01 PM, Blogger Chuckles said...

I don't either. I think you should rotate the colors like that sketch from Kids in the Hall with the people who always had the awesome answering machine message. That was awesome.

 
At 2/23/2006 3:42 PM, Blogger fulsome said...

*sniff* Kids In The Hall *sniff* They comprised half of our Superbowl list of "Canadians who Don't Suck."

 
At 2/23/2006 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fulsome, you are gonna get it

 

Post a Comment