The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Monday, October 17, 2005

Who the hell is Joe Morgan anyway?



Does anyone really know who Joe Morgan truly is? Can any of us honestly say, I know Joe Morgan, I know his character and I know how he will vote on the issues? When he sits on the court and makes his rulings, will we be saying this is the Joe Morgan I know or will we be stripped of our faith in him as surely as a waiter is stripped of his dignity? The question left to us, then, is thus: do we really know Joe Morgan?

2 Comments:

At 10/17/2005 5:31 PM, Blogger fulsome said...

I think you blew one by me here. Joe Morgan's qualifications are quite available. He was clearly a brilliant player and a scrapper as well. He played second base for the Big Red Machine. Yet, he seems to view statistics as meaningless numbers imposed upon our national pastime. I read an interview of him ripping on "Moneyball" and sabermetrics.

I'm not quite sure why he's unwilling to show how the "veteran's eye" complements the info. I know he loves the idea of moving running over and I think there is a case to be made for 'small ball' but it just makes you look completely irrational to deny that statistics have any value.

 
At 10/18/2005 9:41 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

What language are you speaking? I think you are talking about batting average and RBIs and stuff when you say statistics, but the other crap? What the hell is Moneyball? Is that a sequel to Murderball or Rollerball(an awesome movie starring James Caan as a young actor)? Sabermetrics sounds like a new workout routine for paleontologists involving wrestling with extinct felines.

Small ball, I guess, sounds like infield play that used to be important to baseball, like bunting and stuff.

I agree with you abou the force outs and being on the bag. You have to touch the bag and remaining touching the base until the runner is out, so far as I remember from little league.

 

Post a Comment