The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Monday, January 24, 2005

Cunning Linguist?

Overused and horrifically bad pun aside, I am thinking that in the not-too-distant future I need to get back to one of my primary hobbies, studying a language. I had achieved low-level competency in Chinese, have some ability in Spanish, and am considering trying to learn some Middle Eastern language.

I am framing the debate internally as a question between: 1) acquiring fluency in either Chinese or Spanish and 2) Learning Arabic or Farsi or some other Mideastern language. I am drawn to option two because of my innate preference to start something new instead of completing something old. Some (not-insignificant) part of me says that Ishould try to actually be accomplished in one of the other languages. I think both ideas have some merit. I'm not really expecting any answers, obviously, but this is one of those instances where I'm hoping the fact that I am writing it down where I can see it will encourage me to come back and do more with this debate. I'll try and follow up on this again later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment