The [Ninja Turtles] henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady have hijacked the musical genres for us just like the Lone Ranger hijacked the William Tell Overture for our parents.

- xkcd

Sunday, August 14, 2005

The Ponys

Despite initial skepticism from the Polish judge, The Ponys put on an excellent set at Lollapalooza. I wanted to see more and since they played at Bottom of the Hill on Friday, I decided to go see them. On Friday, I was already in a fairly rock'n'roll mood. I was craving those bold power chords some powerful bass lines and frenetic drumming. The Ponys came through in spades.

They play what I kept wanting to call late 60's-early 70's straight-up rock. But, somehow, it wasn't. There is a little more movement than that and some definite Sonic Youth influence. They even include a quote from Thurston Moore (of SY), in his role as a music columnist at Arthur, ("If you are not hip to their chuff, you are out of some loops, pal. Way out.") on their press page. I don't know if it was because they never slow down or what -- but they really seem to the best of garage rock which is swirling together a million different styles without relying on any of them. Stealing a line from their record promotion, "Somehow, the PONYS cleverly destroy everything that you used to hate, and then force you to love it." The only thing that took away from the set at all was after they finished playing the crowd clapped some but it was not terribly thunderous and a number of people actually left. After about three minutes of half-hearted clapping The Ponys came back for the encore. The crowd was actually smaller! I just felt a little embarrassed for them. That, however, seems to be the new trend -- the encore whether deserved or not. I was glad they played another song but if it was me I don't think I would have bothered. Other than that, everything was great. They played for a little more than an hour and I really need to remember to try and at least bring my camera to these things if I am going to try and post about them. Oh well, I really enjoyed their set and am definitely a fan now.

After all that, let me say a few quick sentences about The Occasion (link to their MySpace page which has several songs) who opened for them. They are from New York and definitely have some of that Joy Division vibe going on. The thing I really liked about them was they had their bass super fuzzy and then they would play these simple little lines on the keyboard that sounded almost out of tune but were very high and clear and provided this really nice counterpoint to the bass. Their set started out very slow and slowly picked up intensity. The last two songs were much more vibrant. It was a nice transition although I think it is one of those things that you can appreciate more when you have more familiarity with the slow songs. It took me a while to get into them at all. I think they have some potential but I don't know that I would go just to see them.

I missed Miss Alex White's set which makes me feel a little foolish but oh well.

Here's a few The Pony MP3's (from their site)

Little Friends (which they played)

GLaSs CoNVeRsaTIons (which I'm pretty sure is the song I first noticed at Lollapalooza)

(edited for spelling)

9 Comments:

At 8/16/2005 8:00 AM, Blogger Chuckles said...

One thing that bugged me about shows in SF is that everyone smokes pot. I had a real hard time explaining to my brother, ahem warden, that it all from the crowd. The people smoking always had this attitude that its just pot and everyone should be doing it and if they aren't, they should be educated in the ways of the leaf. I am not a teetotaler, I just don't smoke that anymore. It messes wiht your head just as bad as booze. It was sort of a theme that everyone's rights in SF included the right to intrude upon your life, tell you how to live. Pissants. RAR! Chuck SMASH!

 
At 8/17/2005 8:37 AM, Blogger fulsome said...

Well, now that no one can smoke in bars that is not a problem.

That no one can smoke in bars is a whole different kind of weirdness. It just doesn't seem right to come home from a show and be not have the alcohol and sweat smells masked by smoke.

 
At 8/18/2005 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, you guys both write to the same blog and then have conversations with each other in the comments section. Doesn't that seem kind of pointless?

 
At 8/18/2005 9:16 AM, Blogger fulsome said...

It's my blog, I just let Chuckles post here. Cause he's too poor to open his own blog, or, well, because. Besides, nachos, posts are for substance, comments are for inanity. Or something.

Or this whole thing is for inanity.

 
At 8/18/2005 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, I would have thought you would point out that by posting my complaint (to the comments section) it would have immediately proved the usefulness of your commenting on your own posts and thus immediately disproving my hypothesis that it was pointless.

But if you want to go with the argument you've chosen ... that's fine with me.

 
At 8/18/2005 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, I would have thought you would point out that by posting my complaint (to the comments section) it would have immediately proved the usefulness of your commenting on your own posts and thus immediately disproved my hypothesis that it was pointless.

But if you want to go with the argument you've chosen ... that's fine with me.

 
At 8/18/2005 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yarg, double post. I hate you internet!

 
At 8/18/2005 11:05 AM, Blogger fulsome said...

I figured you were just posting one comment for each of the internets.

But, hey, whatever works for you, Mr. "follow this link to a website that hasn't been updated in six months."

Zing!

 
At 8/18/2005 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Touché salesman.

 

Post a Comment